What causes brown spots or age spots?
Sun spots or age spots on the face, hands, chest and arms (sun exposed areas) are a natural consequence of living under the warm California sun.
Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Susan Goodlerner offers a wide range of effective options to reduce brown spots.
- topical prescription strength products for home use (including our own custom formulations),
- chemical peels, and
- laser treatments.
Dr Goodlerner has more than 27 years’ experience in helping patients improve their skin. We offer the latest laser technology with treatments performed by an MD:
- Topical products for home use: We offer several different skin lightening skin care products that use hydroquinone 4-6%., a prescription strength ingredient that blocks pigment production. Options include the Obagi skin system, our own triple ingredient skin lightener and our own skin lightening kit. All of these will reduce sun spots and leave the skin smoother and more radiant. For maintenance treatment and for those who prefer to avoid hydroquinone, we also offer a non-chemical, herbal skin lightener. These treatments can be used in combination with in-office treatments.
- VBeam pulsed dye laser: The VBeam pulsed dye laser works best for those who want to target a few individual spots on the face or hands. Treatment time is 10-15 minutes and spots resolve in about 10 days. This economical approach can be combined with skin lighteners for any resistant spots.
- Chemical peels: Our esthetician offers a several different chemical peels, all with minimal downtime that will reduce pigmentation from melasma or brown spots. As part of your initial treatment, she will provide expert consultation as to which treatment is best for you. Typically it is recommended to combine peels with a home program.
- TCA peel 25-40%: Dr. Goodlerner has been performing the TCA peel for more than 20 years. It can reduce brown spots or pigmentation in one treatment.
- Fraxel laser: The Fraxel laser treats age spots and sun damage while at the same time reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Treatment is done in 3-4 sessions so there is little down time. And, the Fraxel is gentle enough for treatment brown spots and sun damage on the neck, chest and hands.
- Fractional CO2 Laser: The CO2 laser treats age spots, sun damage, and wrinkles in a one stage treatment. There is a week of healing time, after which your skin is renewed-even toned, free of age spots, smoother and more radiant.